Watauga County: Boone

Seal of Watauga County
Location of Watauga County
County Seat Population (2016): 18,834
Wow, it's been a long time. Anyway, it's time for the first county of 2019, Watauga! Also, happy 1 year anniversary of me visiting counties! Also I coincidentally got my first of 2018 and first of 2019 on the same day, which happens to be the anniversary.
Boone, the highest town of its size east of the Mississippi. It's the other city in WNC. It has Appalachian State. Boone is cool. But anyway, the town is small, artsy, and full of small businesses, which means I like it. It's a neat little place, all the town is is App State and 1 main downtown street. That's all of Boone.
Downtown Boone
We had to drive an hour and a half to get here. Anyway, Boone was named after Daniel Boone, a pioneer and explorer from Pennsylvania, who is rumored to have camped in city limits. After we got the courthouse, we left and went to nearby Blowing Rock, and went to this place called "Mystery Hill", a gravity hill, where, due to the layout of the landscape and optical illusions, it appears that balls roll uphill, water flows up, and stuff like that. It was okay I guess, one of the rooms was slanted and it made me want to throw up.
Mystery Hill


A statue of Doc Watson, a famous country singer who was born near Boone.
We got the veterans memorial, which was actually pretty far away from the courthouse.
Watauga County Veterans Memorial
Sorry Boone, as much as I liked your town, the county courthouse was awful. It reminded me of Burke's, which is actually my least favorite, but I think this might replace it. I still took a picture of it though!
Watauga County Courthouse



Comments

Popular Posts